The second annual statewide cybersecurity conference, held virtually on October 15, 2021, connected students, faculty, and university administrators with cybersecurity business leaders. Open to New Jersey’s higher education communities and cybersecurity industries, the free conference raised awareness of cybersecurity career opportunities and conveyed the appeal of cybersecurity careers to students and other attendees.
“We are seeing an explosion of well-paying jobs and new career paths in cybersecurity. Average salaries start at over $72,000 and can exceed $200,000 in this often overlooked industry,” said Susan Scherreik, director of the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall. “There are not enough applicants to fill this growing field with jobs available to students in a wide range of academic disciplines. In New Jersey alone, there are more than 11,000 cybersecurity positions available and more than 450,000 open nationwide.”
Conference highlights include a keynote address from Gurdeep Kaur, Director of Information Security, PSEG; Brian Bridges, Secretary of Higher Education, Office of the NJ Secretary of Higher Education; Katia Passerini, Provost, Seton Hall University. Speakers included Michael Geraghty, Chief Information Security Officer for the State of New Jersey and Director of the NJ Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Cell (NJCCIC). The conference also brought together cybersecurity experts from: Seton Hall University, Rutgers University, Stevens Institute of Technology, St. Peter’s University, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, New Jersey Economic Development Authority, Edge, Cybereason, SHI International and iQ4.
Train the next generation of cybersecurity researchers
- Shajina Anand (Lecturer) Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Seton Hall University
- Santosh Nagarakatte (lecturer) Associate Professor and Undergraduate Computer Science Program Director, Rutgers University
- Susanne Wetzel (moderator) Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Edward Moskal (lecturer) Associate Professor and Founding Director – MS Cyber Security Program, Saint Peter’s University
- Christie Nelson (speaker) Assistant Research Professor, Rutgers University
The cybersecurity job market: Cybersecurity employers talk about the range of jobs available and the qualities they look for in new hires
- Maggie MacAlpine (moderator) Chief of Staff, Cybereason
- Sam Curry (speaker) Chief Security Officer, Cybereason
- Frank Cicio (speaker) Founder, iQ4
Protecting New Jersey from Cyber Threats
- Cecile Coronato (moderator) Project Manager, Sector Development, New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA)
- Mike Geraghty (speaker) Chief Information Security Officer, State of New Jersey
- Christopher Rein (speaker) Chief Technology Officer, State of New Jersey
- Enrique Bryan (Speaker) Deputy Bureau Chief, High Tech Crime Bureau, NJ State Police
Job Diversity in Cybersecurity: Opportunities for Women and Minorities
- Kerissa Varma (speaker) Chief Information Security Officer, Old Mutual Insurance
- Denise Verdicchio (speaker) Senior Vice President of Public Sector Sales, SHI International Corp
- Alberto Carranza (Speaker) Computer scientist, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Susan Scherreik (moderator) Director, Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Seton Hall University
- Mandy Galante (Speaker) Cybersecurity Training Specialist, New Jersey Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Cell
A day in a life: what does working in cybersecurity look like?
- Kevin McKenzie (speaker) Cybersecurity Analyst, NJ Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness
- Jennifer Lloyd (speaker) Cyber Second Lieutenant, US Army
- Nathanael Boatswain (speaker) Senior Cyber Risk Advisor, Deloitte
- Joyce Strawser (Lecturer) Dean of the Stillman School of Business, Seton Hall University
- Teresitia Walters (moderator) Associate Director, Career Center, Seton Hall University
- Robert Franco (Moderator) Associate/Senior Assistant Director – Career Center and Assistant Professor – Strategic Communications, Seton Hall University
- Masood Mohayya (speaker) IT Support Analyst, Take-Two Interactive
Interested in a professional certificate in cybersecurity?
Computer Security Fundamentals – January 4-15, 2022
Taught by Eric Lopez, MAE, Security Architect and Senior Security Analyst at Seton Hall, as well as Adjunct Professor, this course provides an overview of fundamental cybersecurity concepts, threats that commonly affect organizations today, and an understanding of how to create security policies that help organizations improve their security posture. This course is a prerequisite for Network+ and Security+.
Live, online and synchronous programming:
Tuesday and Thursday, 1/4 and 1/6: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday 01/11 and 01/13: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Saturday 08/01 and 15/01: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Tuition – $999
Early Bird rate ends November 30!
Enter code ITEarlyBird to get 20% off!